November 11, 2013

Goodreads


Have you heard of Goodreads? One of my dear friends in Oklahoma published her first book and asked me to read it and write a review for it on a few websites. Goodreads was one of the sites she included. I had never even heard of it before.



{You can buy it here or read my review here.}

I signed up for it so I could write the review and didn't take much time to look around and had no idea what it was about. But about a year later I found my way back and now I absolutely adore this site/app now.

I am doing Personal Progress along with the girls in my ward and I set a goal to read 10 new books before the end of the year. This was a great site to help me explore the world of books. I tend to get overwhelmed at the library and this site changes all that.

I started following some friends and I can now see what  books they have read, rated and reviewed.

Goodreads lets you create shelves and mine are fairly simple.

They include: What I have read, what I'm currently reading and I huge "shelf" filled with books I want to read in the future. I have a shelf that includes books I want to read to Lydia too. I even keep a shelf of children books I want to buy that I know I already love. My list of favorite children books is over here.

Here are some the books I have read for my goal.

I most recently finished The Goose Girl and I really enjoyed it.
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)

I started this series and I loved the first book.

Matched (Matched, #1)

 I'm glad I read this one. The characters are wonderful and the writing style is lovely.
The Secret Life of Bees

Another great one.
Book of a Thousand Days

I didn't fall in love with the characters in this book but I plowed through it anyways.
Every Soul A Star

My sister-in-law loaned me this back in August when I started my Personal Progress goal.
Seeking Persephone (The Lancaster Family #1)

I learned a lot about basic photography with this book.
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera

We checked out this book in CD form on accident. It was filled with short stories and we listened to them in the car for 2 weeks. Lydia became obsessed  and I grew tired of them after listening to them 10 times each.




This was just a silly fun read. It's about a Mormon girl who goes on a Reality show.
Reality Check

I'm a huge fan of bucket lists so this book caught my eye. Mine is over here. Its another fluffy LDS romance.
The List

I cringed while reading this book. He is amazing but a tad graphic. His true story occurred about 10 years ago and it was all over the news. I like reading about real people.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

A friend wrote a good review about this book so I wanted to read it too. It was actually great. I'm really interested in new parenting strategies, finance ideas and new recipes. This book had it all and more.
The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families—How They Do It

This was random for me. I don't usually seek out random celebrity memoirs. But it caught my eye and was a quick read.
Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

My Mom loaned me this book. It is inspiring and I love books that make me want to become better.


I am currently reading this. It finally became available at the library. Yay.



I plan to read these in the near future:
Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)

I am loving everything Shannon Hale. She is an amazing author.

Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey\
???? I know nothing about it yet. But I'm going to look into it.

Austenland (Austenland, #1)
I want to see this movie....but should probably read the book first eh?

Steve Jobs

My Story

I'm interested in this new book.

I love her advice I catch on Studio 5, a local show that I watch....she knows her stuff.



I loved Eden Brooke so I look forward to reading her next novel.
Blackmoore: A Proper Romance

I have a few cook books on my Want to Read Shelf too. I looooove cook books. They are so pretty to look through and I like to try new recipes.

As you can tell I like a mixture of it all. I like biographies, self help, a little romance, fantasy, a good novel....a little taste of everything. Well not everything, I haven't dove into Sci-Fi lately and I don't really have them in my future plans.

You can follow me on Goodreads. Or if its not for you just send me a text/email when you finish a book that you think I will like and I will add it to my "shelves."


1 comment:

Angela said...

I have read some of the same books as you. I recently checked out the My story by Elizabeth Smart book. I started reading it but then had to just skip to the end when she was found. I couldn't get the sad details out of my mind and didn't want to read anymore of them. My teenage daughter asked if you could it and I said no.