November 5, 2013

Grandma Haslem

This poster is true. We sure do! And so do ALL of her Grandkids, kids, in-laws and everyone who knows her. Grandma had to have surgery in a hospital in Murray. The plastic lining in her hip sockets were worn out and causing her extreme pain. 

Lydia and I went and spent the morning with her before she went into surgery. Jean & Ron Ruiz were there as well. Lydia was a good distraction for Grandma. She sang, told her stories and even recited her primary talk about getting lost at the Haslem reunion. 

Grandma was really anxious about her surgery. Her Grandsons gave her a blessing and so did her sons before she left the basin. Brooke was so good to her as well, the night before Grandma told me she came to visit and played her guitar for her. 

She had a great nurse. Jean and I were asked to fill out a HUGE paper with all of Grandma's health history, concerns, medications and past surgery's and hospital stays. Grandma told us everything she could remember and man has her body been through it all. She has lots of health problems. I learned a lot about her, and decided that I never want to grow old. 

She dozed in and out for a bit. She was on lots of pain medication. 
We kissed her goodbye and then went on our way. Her daughter Doris was on his way and she cared for Grandma for the rest of the day. (The hardest day we heard. Doris said it was rough.) Julie spent the night with her in the hospital and we came back the following morning, brought Julie some breakfast and spent most of the day keeping Grandma & Julie company. 
Her therapists came in. She had to put her pants on, stand up and do a lap around the bed. It was so painful and hard for her, but she is one tough women. I told everyone....doctors, nurses....everyone who came in her room that she gave birth to 11 children. Man alive, isn't that amazing! I will never get over how amazing that is. I could barely handle one and she did it 11 times! Wow!!! 
It took her a good 20 minutes to get around the bed but she did it and we quietly cheered her on. 
Sitting in the chair was rough. It caused her a lot of pain. She lasted about 45 minutes.
This was her view. Lydia loved finding our car in the sea of vehicles. 
Her room was very nice. Her husband and more sons were on their way next so we headed out so she could rest before her next slew of visitors arrived. She is loved and well taken care of. 

Tyson texted me a few times asking when we were coming home. In all honesty, we would have stayed all day, all night if needed and enjoyed every moment. Grandma is such a pleasant women to be around. She is great at making conversation, she told wonderful stories, she has a sweet sense of humor and a great memory. This is the longest I have ever spent with her. Usually we are at huge family gatherings and I only get to visit for a few minutes in a noisy room. This was lovely. I love her a lot and I'm grateful Lydia could get to know her as well. I love this generation. All 4 of my Grandparents have passed on and I miss them so much. I love that I've married into some more wonderful Grandparents that I can love and get to know. 

She recovered at the Villa in Roosevelt and then finally got to go home. Lydia never forgets to pray for Grandma Haslem. We sure love her lots! 

No comments: