I taught a baby sitting class for my sweet activity day girls. We practiced swaddling babies.....and then I unloaded all of my knowledge, haha, I told them my secrets and lots of tips to help them be good baby sitters someday.
They are not old enough to baby sit just yet, but they have younger siblings, cousins and neighbors who they can practice with.
I loooooved baby sitting. I loved taking care of little kids. I still do. I think it was because I was the youngest and well, truthfully, it really brings me a deep sense of joy.
I was the baby sitting diva. People would hire me months in advance for new years. I had after school jobs, weekend jobs, summer jobs.....and I loved it. When I hit 9th grade and could start going to stake dances my friends didn't like that I baby sat so much.
Baby Cru came and helped me teach the girls about babies. He was a pro!
Here are some of my notes....they make sense to me.....I added some personal stories in to get some laughs and wide eyed reactions....I have lots of wild stories. I loved baby sitting....but it wasn't perfect situations all the time. Here you go.
BABY SITTING CLASS Activity Days:
HOW TO:
Offer.Show interest in kids. Talk to them at church. Make a flyer. Get your Mom’s help and network.
BE READY:
Beon time. Or be ready when they pick you up.
Dressnice. Comfy clothes that you don’t care if they get dirty.
BEFORE PARENTS LEAVE:
Listencarefully to instructions.
Askwhen they will be home.
Get emergencynumbers.
Ask about allergies. Bed times. (kids will try to trick you)
HOW TO DISTRACT KIDS (if sad):
Music, get on their level, start playing, go outside....be bubbly and fun.
BRING A FUN BAG:
( Make it appropriate for your audience): games, toys, art, bubbles, books, dolls, chalk, outside games, coloring, dance party…change it up every time you go. They will LOVE it!
RULES TO LIVE BY:
Stay off your phones. You are in charge of the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be considerate.Tidy up. Leave it better than you found it. Clean up messes. Don’t eat their food.
AFTER KIDS ARE ASLEEP:
Bring a book. Watch a show. Write in your journal. Do Homework.
WHEN PARENTS COME HOME:
Howwere they??? Tantrum…..etc. Tell the truth…..but not too many details.
Money:Say Thank you! Don't count it infront of them. If it is a check, cash it asap.
Put a tithing/saving/spending plan into action! Don't spend it all on junk at the mall.
Templeor visiting teaching, RS night. NO CHARGE!
EXTRA:
If you need advice or have a small question call your own Mom instead of bothering the parents on their date night.
Befun. Be happy! Keep the kids on their toes! So the next time their parents want to go out……they willrequest YOU!
1 comment:
Laura, what a great Idea! I love your notes and would love to hear some of your babysitting stories. I bet you have some good ones with babysitting so much! I love to hear the happenings in your life! We sure think you are so great! Keep it up! Thanks
Post a Comment