December 22, 2013

Chocolate Balls

Making chocolate balls have become a traditional treat for me to make each year. I first tasted one when we lived next store to the Hueth's in South Ogden (I was a teenager). They looked weird sitting in our fridge in a tin but I tried one and I have loved them ever since. I started making them when I got married. Lydia helped me make them for the first time this year. 

They only have 3 ingredients. Its a messy job totally worth all the dishes you have to clean.
I made two double batches this year.
I typed up the recipe for a few of my friends today and I thought I'd post it here as well. I'm all about sharing recipes. I'd never keep a delicious recipe like this all to myself because in all reality I wish I could deliver them to all of my friends/family and since I can't I guess I better share this instead.

Ingredients:
2 Symphony Bars (the biggest size you can find) The nugget kind is the best! But milk chocolate works too.
1 Tub of Cool Whip (medium sized 8 ounce)
1 box of Vanilla wafers

Instructions:
Melt the chocolate however you’d like. I’ve used the microwave in the past, stirring every thirty 30 seconds until it’s all melted. Now I use a make shift double boiler.  I use a pot of water, bring it to a boil, place a glass bowl on top and stir until melted.

In a separate bowl fold the Cool Whip into the chocolate.

Then I stick the bowl outside on the front porch and let it cool for about 10 minutes. I only make them in December, obviously the fridge works too.

While the balls are cooling I crunch up the Vanilla wafers. In the past I’ve used a zip lock bag and a rolling pin to smash them, but now I have a Vitamix and a Food processor to do the job for me, either work great. When I use the Vitamix, I put in a few cookies at a time.

Then when the chocolate mixture is set up  bit I use a pampered chef kitchen scoop to make medium sized balls.  (Two spoons work too.) Then I roll them in the fine Vanilla wafer cookies and I place them on waxed paper.  It’s a messy job, but so worth it.

The balls don’t have to look perfect but you can roll them in your hand a bit after they are covered in cookies if you a perfectionist.

I like to serve these cold from freezer, or the fridge. They are not my favorite at room temperature.  I store them in metal tins and then store them in the freezer until I deliver them to neighbors.  





Tyson gets his own tin every year because one year I went to the freezer to get a tin for our home teachers who were in the other room and when I opened it up there were only 3 left inside. Tyson had eaten a few from each tin in hopes I wouldn't notice. Boy did I ever notice. But now I laugh about it. They are that good. Your family will love them!


No comments: