January 31, 2013

Grandma Goodrich turned 90



Grandma Goodrich turned 90 this past month.
They celebrated with 90 cake pops,
and a tiara.
Doesn't she look amazing!?

We love her.
She is quite the lady.

I know a little bit about her. But not as much as I would like to. Here it goes:

She grew up in Salt Lake City.

She taught Primary and President Monson. Tommy was in her class, I think he was about 5. He used to climb up on the chairs and look out the window and she'd have to get after him about getting down.

When she moved from the big city to Tridell she lived in a small garage with her family while they were building a home.

Rumor has it she woke up early every morning and cooked her husband a hot breakfast, sometimes at 4 am before he would go out to work. Its not a rumor though, she really did that.

She is so sweet. I have never heard her utter an ill word about anyone.

She is known for her amazing bread making skills. I have only tried it once. It was fluffy and melted in my mouth. She uses Robin Hood, Canadian flour....but that is not her only secret. I don't know her secrets.

She makes everyone feel so loved and welcome when we would go and visit her.

She used to teach preschool and one night we bonded over our love for children and teaching. We were alone, upstairs in her home and she sang me songs, told me stories and sent me home with lots of old materials she used to use. I can just imagine how amazing she must have been in the classroom.

You could see and feel how much she loved her husband by the way she looked at him and served him.

She had 7 children, I believe. I might be wrong.

I would have loved to see her back in those days, in action.....changing diapers, feeding, rocking, getting kids off to school, making dinners trying to balance out everything that is expected of women. I don't know what she was like back then. What were her interests? What did she do to revive her spirits after a long day?

I wonder if she kept a record. A journal of her every day thoughts, feelings and ups and downs of mothering and womanhood.

I know she is a wonderful cook. I even have some of her recipes. I have tasted them but never made them on my own.

When her husband past away I heard she would make the drive and visit his grave site and visit with him everyday for time being. That brought a tear to my eye.

I do love to be around her. She makes me want to be a better person and that is one of finest qualities I think anyone can possess.

I want to learn more. I know she has shared a lot of stories with us in the past. But I am forgetful. I hope someone has written them all down. I want to share her life stories with Lydia someday. I am sure we can learn a lot from her.

She has moved from her farm home in Tridell and now lives in Boise, Idaho with the Stringham family. They are so good to take care of her.

I hear she is still living a full wonderful life and I am glad for that.

I am glad that Lydia has such great heritage.

What a lady she is!

2 comments:

Matt and Camille Tanner said...

I love this. Thanks for such kind words about my Grandma-she sure is amazing. I love that as an in-law, you have gotten to know her so well. You're pretty amazing yourself.

Shafferprincess said...

She's definitely the best!