10 years ago on September 11, 2001. Seven years before you were born, something horrific happened to our country that affected the whole world.
Like most people, I will never forget the happenings of this day. I was just barely 18 years old. I was the only one left living at home with my Mom and Dad. I was in my bedroom on the floor curling my hair. It was around 7:00 a.m. when my Mom called me in to her room. "Laura, get in here....you have to see this!" she hollered. My Mom listens/watches the Today Show most days as she gets ready and I thought she was calling me into see N'Sync or one of my other favorite bands performing out on the plaza, but that wasn't it at all.
It was images of an air plane crashing into a huge tower in New York City. I looked at my Mom and asked her if it had been an accident. We kept watching. I thought it must have been. Why would anything like that happen? Why would anyone do that? I was so confused. We kept watching the T.V. with eyes glued and we saw another plane come crashing into the other tower. I thought it was just a re-play of the first tower. I was wrong. It was not. It was horrifying. We knew people were in those towers, parents, grandparents, loved ones, husbands, wives & friends. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I honestly couldn't digest the images fast enough to know what or how I should be feeling. I don't remember how long I watched it.
For days after we were bombarded with images and news on the T.V., in magazines, late night specials, interviews of families, police officers, fire fighters, speeches from the President, patriotic music on the radios.....etc. We thought of nothing else for quite sometime. It was impossible not to. (Planes crashed into the pentagon and an open field too, leaving even more people dead or injured.)
You may have lots of questions about it someday, I will answer them the best I can. You will most likely learn more about this day in school too. You will hear people speak of it each year on your birthday & when you are old enough to understand a little more will mostly likely feel pride for this great country you live in.
Love you,
Laura G.
Nearly 3,000 died in the attacks.
God Bless America.
No comments:
Post a Comment